“Reflecting back, we see how we have been blessed with good health, loyal customers, and excellent staff. We now employ over 200 full-time and seasonal staff that are knowledgeable and dedicated to their work. We value and thank them for their professionalism and experienced skills that have helped grow our company.”
John Connon immigrated to Canada from Aberdeen Scotland in 1895. While working for the Robert Evans Seed Company of Hamilton, he realized the need for the sales and distribution of trees and shrubs to local farmers. Thus, in October of 1906, he fulfilled his dream of supplying farmers when the John Connon Floral Co. Ltd. was incorporated. The greenhouses were located on Wentworth St. N. and the sales office was at 41 King St.W, both in Hamilton. In 1912 the new name of John Connon Company Ltd. was incorporated, and a catalogue from that year indicates that Connon Nurseries supplied a comprehensive list of items. Several relocations occurred in the first twenty years of the company (all within the Hamilton / Stoney Creek area), until 1922 when the family moved to First Street in Waterdown. The original home, now owned by the Hawkrigg family, was named ‘Balgownie’; a name which invoked fond memories of John Connon’s native Scotland.
In 1931, the company moved to the property on Highway #5 in Waterdown. From this location, we continued to supply quality products to the retail public, as well as to the landscape contractors in the area. As sales grew from this location, it became necessary to develop our own production to support our sales and market demand, so in 1989, the decision was made to acquire our first production farm on Robson Road. Product lines produced on this farm included container-grown flowering shrubs, evergreens, perennials, ornamental grasses, and water plants. In 2017, we closed the Highway #5 location and transitioned over to our redeveloped Robson Production Sales Yard, where we currently produce and sell over 20 acres of nursery stock.
Realizing the growth potential in the Eastern Ontario market, a second sales location serving both the retail and wholesale markets was purchased in Trenton, Ontario. Four additional farms have been purchased in the Waterdown area over the last four years to satisfy market demand.
Reflecting back, we see how we have been blessed with good health, loyal customers, and excellent staff. We now employ over 200 full-time and seasonal staff that are knowledgeable and dedicated to their work. We value and thank them for their professionalism and experienced skills that have helped grow our company.
Looking forward, we have a vision similar to the roots from which Connon Nurseries began. We understand that being a good supplier begins with our customers, and the important, professional relationships developed there. To this day, we remain focused on supplying high-quality nursery stock and hard-goods related gardening products to the end user; to both the public and to the wholesale market. Our emphasis on remaining a one-stop supplier, with fast, professional service for the professional gardener continues today, and we anticipate for many generations to come.